The following article was written by Spencer Wingate.
Brought to you by the NYU School of Law IPELS Sports Law Group
Sponsored by Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
Date and Time: March 23, 2012, 10:00 am – 4:30 pm
Vanderbilt Hall, 40 Washington Square South map
Collective Bargaining and Labor Relations (10:00 am – 11:50 am)
What is the topic occupying most sports attorneys lately? Drug testing? Crime? No, it’s collective bargaining and labor relations. Fresh off prolonged lockouts in the NFL and NBA and a peaceful CBA negotiating process in MLB, experts and participants in past, present, and future negotiations come to NYU Law to discuss their experiences and highlight problems looming ahead.
- Rob Manfred, Executive Vice President of Labor Relations, Major League Baseball
- Russ Granik, former NBA Deputy Commissioner
- Charles Grantham, former National Basketball Player’s Association Executive Director
- Bruce Meyer, Partner, Weil, Gotshal & Manges
- Moderator: Dana Jacobson, ESPN anchorwoman
Keynote Address: The Role of the Commissioner (12:00 pm – 1:00 pm)
- Gary Bettman ’77, NHL Commissioner
The Role of Lawyers in Franchise Sports Teams and Leagues (2:00 pm – 4:30 pm)
Lawyers play a huge role in the every day happenings in sports franchises and leagues, including managing the salary cap, contracting with a facility, and buying and selling teams. Hear from some of the foremost lawyers who deal with these important tasks on a regular basis.
- Ari Nissim, Director of Football Administration, New York Jets
- Russ Granik, Vice Chairman, Galatioto Sports Partners
- More speakers to be announced.
- Moderators: Robert Boland, Academic Chair and Professor of Sports Management & NYU Preston Robert Tisch Center for Hospitality, Tourism & Sports Management
Reception to follow…
RSVP: here or contact Justin Cohen- email@example.com for additional information