Darren Adam Heitner, Esq. is the Founder of Heitner Legal, P.L.L.C. and is licensed to practice on the state and federal level. He has represented athletes, agents, entertainers, small businesses and large corporations alike. In addition to handling complex transactional and commercial litigation matters, he has a wealth of experience in education and the business world as Founder/CEO of Dynasty Dealings, LLC, three years as an Adjunct Professor of Sport Agency Management (a course he created) at Indiana University Bloomington, Adjunct Professor at University of Florida and the University of Florida Levin College of Law, Co-Founder of Collegiate Sports Advisors (CSA), Contributor at Forbes in the SportsMoney division, Contributor at Inc. and Founder/Chief Editor of Sports Agent Blog, a leading niche industry publication. Darren is AV-Rated by the prestigious Martindale-Hubbell Legal Directory Service, the highest ranking for legal ability and professional ethics given by Martindale-Hubbell.
A sample of accomplishments:
- Received federal trademark registrations for “MONEY GREEN” (Draymond Green), “GETCHA POPCORN READY” (Terrell Owens), “BLOUNT FORCE TRAUMA” (LeGarrette Blount), “WITH A KISS” and “ONIONS” (Bill Raftery), “CHECK-IN FOR GOOD,” “ATHLETE ORIGINALS,” “FREAK THE DISCO,” “MYFUELUP,” “MY MIXTAPEZ,” “PRECISIONHAWK,” among others;
- Prevailed in a cases against the NFL Players Association on behalf of agent Cleodis Floyd and agent Vinnie Porter;
- Prepared estate plans for baseball players Alex Avila, Luis Castillo, among others;
- Reached settlements in myriad sports-related grievances, including representation on behalf of agents Ryan Morgan (Morgan Advisory Group) and Mike Silverman (Athlete Management Group);
- Negotiated numerous licensing agreements, including one between SportsManias and NFL Players Inc.;
- Successfully caused many athletes to pay agent fees that were well past due;
- Drafted numerous advisory opinions on fantasy sports startups, gaming startups, and esports startups;
- Negotiated multi-million dollar asset purchase agreements;
- Drafted and negotiated international joint venture agreements;
- Helped numerous franchisees with their franchise disclosure documentation as well as commercial leases;
- JD, University of Florida Levin College of Law, 2010
- BA, University of Florida, 2007
Bars and Courts
- Florida State Bar, 2010
- Southern District of Florida, 2011
- Middle District of Florida, 2013
- Author of the American Bar Association published title, How to Play the Game: What Every Sports Attorney Needs to Know
- Contributing Writer of An Athlete’s Guide to Agents, 5th Edition
- Author of a Dartmouth Law Journal article titled, Duties of Sports Agents to Athletes and Statutory Regulation Thereof
- Author of a Gaming Law Review and Economics article titled, The Plight of PASPA: It’s Time to Pull the Plug on the Prohibition
- Co-author of a Harvard Journal of Sports and Entertainment Law article titled, Corking the Cam Newton Loophole, a Sweeping Suggestion
- Author of a NYU School of Law IP and Entertainment Law Ledger article titled, You May Not “Like” This Title: Everything Stored On Facebook Is Discoverable
- Co-author of a New York State Bar Association Entertainment, Arts & Sports Law Journal article titled, Have Some Standards: How the Sports Agent Profession Should Be Effectively Regulated
- Co-author of a Virginia Sports & Entertainment Law Journal article titled, In Baseball’s Best Interest?: A Discussion of the October 2010 MLBPA Regulations Governing Player Agents
- Co-author of a Pace Intellectual Property Sports & Entertainment Law Forum article titled, Football v. Football: A Comparison of Agent Regulation in France’s Ligue 1 and the National Football League
- Author of a DePaul Journal of Sports Law & Contemporary Problems article titled, Money and Sports: Economic Realities of Being An Athlete.
- Author of a DePaul Journal of Sports Law & Contemporary Problems article titled, Pain in the Head: The Official Helmet Company of the NFL’s Potential Liability in the Concussion Lawsuits.
- Co-author of a New York State Bar Association Journal article titled, Made for Each Other: Social Media and Litigation.
- Co-author of Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law at Arizona State University Sports and Entertainment Law Journal article titled, An Offer They Should Refuse: Why Conflicts of Interest Raised by Dual Representation among Player Agents is a Major Threat to the NCAA and Professional Leagues.
- Co-author of a Fall Marquette Sports Law Review article titled, Jay Z Has 99 Problems, and Being a Sports Agent May Be One
- Co-author of a Jeffrey S. Moorad Sports Law Journal (Villanova) article titled, Score a Touchdown, Kiss Your Tattoo, and Get Sued for Copyright Infringement?
- Author of a DePaul Law Review article titled, Why Fantasy Sports Should Welcome Uniformity of the Law: A Suggestion that the Uniform Law Commission Become Involved in Shaping Laws Concerning Fantasy Sports
- Recognized by SportsPro Media as 1-of-10 stars of the sports business industry under the age of 30
- “Rising Star” in the sports industry by Partnership Activation, Inc.
- Power 30 Under 30 Miami 2010 Honoree
- Named a Top Sports Social Media Professional of 2010 by SportsNetworker.com
- Chosen as a Florida Legal Elite Up and Comer for 2012, 2015 & 2017 (top attorneys in Florida under 40 years of age)
- Named to Sports Launch Magazine’s Thirty Under 30
- Chosen as a 2013 Rising Star by the Daily Business Review
- Selected in 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2108 as a Rising Star by Florida Super Lawyers